From attending a star studded industry event in Vegas to volunteering in our community, this was a busy year for MC College. Here’s part two of our top highlights from 2017!
MC Elite: a year in review
Every month, Campus Directors and Instructors nominate a student they feel should be recognized as an MC Elite. Students are chosen based on their growth as an industry professional and their use of social media to promote themselves. The winner receives an MC College gift card, feature on MC College’s social media channels and website, and bragging rights! Click on the names below to read about the 2017 MC Elites
To help MC College Students build their clientele, make more money and give them a competitive edge in the job market, we brought Prosper U to MC College. As the first cosmetology school in Canada to incorporate this program, students learn about personal branding, client retention, customer service, retailing and more. The program was developed by award winning Stylist, Eric Fisher.
For more info, visit: www.mccollege.ca/prosper_u?&edit=1
Throughout 2017, we partnered with industry leaders ‘Brows by G’, and ‘Glam Skin Care Academy’ to offer specialized and advanced education in IPL/laser technician, microblading and micropigmentation.
From taking selfies with Sam Villa at the NAHA’s to watching the light show on Fremont Street, over 80 MC College Students and staff made their way to Las Vegas this past July for the 12th annual MCxNAHA show and 28th annual North American Hairstyling Awards (one of the biggest events of the hairstyling industry). Every student that enrolled in the June Hairstyling program went on this trip for FREE. Thanks to MC Edmonton student, Patricia Lopez for creating this video:
On April 8, all MC College campuses held an Open House that was littt; from special effects makeup and live fashion sketching to mini DIY (do-it-yourself) stations. Across the 6 campuses, over 300 people attended the event to experience what the #MCLife is all about, and to learn about career opportunities in the Beauty and Fashion Industry. Attendees tested out our interactive learning platform, Learn About Beauty, while getting the chance to tour the campus and meet the MC Squad: staff, students, graduates and industry partners
— MC College (@mccollegegroup) April 8, 2017
Sharing the love
At MC College, we are a proud supporter of many community events, charities and not for profits. Whether it was doing haircuts for the less fortunate or manicures at a local emergency shelter, staff and students from all 6 campuses volunteered their craft and time at 275 community events in 2017. Because that is way too many to list, here are a few of our favourites:
- Did hairstyles, makeup and mini manicures at Okanagan Pride.
- Pinked and shaved heads at the 14th annual Northern Alberta Hair Massacure event. Over 800 people visited the campus to get their hair coloured pink.
— MC College (@mccollegegroup) January 23, 2017
- Made monthly visits to the Central Alberta Women’s Emergency Shelter to provide haircuts and manicures for clients and volunteers. ”
- Kicked off the Southern Alberta Hair Massacure event with a full day of pinking. Over 500 stopped by to get their hair coloured pink!
- Mini manicures and hand massages for stressed out students at the University of Saskatchewan’s Stress Less event.
- Haircuts for the less fortunate at the 6th annual CEO Sleepout. Since the Sleepout began in 2011, just under $800,000 has been raised to end homelessness.