We’re taking a look back at the top stories that happened at MC College in 2016! From all 6 campuses coming together for a fundraiser to hanging out with award winning Hairstylists in Las Vegas, and much more. In chronological order:
LEARN ABOUT BEAUTY
Early last year, we were the first Canadian Cosmetology school to say ‘bye Felicia’ to carrying around textbooks and hello to Pivot Point’s digital learning platform: Learn About Beauty. This exciting new application combines social media, personalized education and a collaborative environment. From any Smartphone, computer or tablet, our students have access to an online collection of interactive materials so that they can learn at your own pace, anywhere…anytime!
STUDENT OF THE MONTH: A YEAR IN REVIEW
Every month, our Campus Directors and Instructors nominate a Student from each program for this award. Only 1 Student is chosen as the Student of the Month based on criteria such as: use of social media for personal branding, academic record and more. The winner receives an MC College gift card, feature on MC College’s social media channels and most importantly…bragging rights! Click on the names below to read about the Students of the Month from 2016:
MC COLLEGE + BROWS BY G
In 2016, we partnered with Brows by G to bring a Partial Esthetics class in the latest in eyebrow technology: MICROBLADING.
GLOBAL BEAUTY MASTERS
Survivor meets the Contessa’s to the extreme! Nicolette Pirrott (instagram: @sharksloveteeth) and Tao Ping, two MC College Hairstyling Students from Edmonton were featured and competed in TLC network’s “Global Beauty Masters” show. Watch their live morning interview on Global Edmonton TV below!
#ALBERTASTRONG: FUNDRAISER FOR FORT MCMURRAY
On May 12 2016, MC College organized a fundraiser across all six campuses for the Canadian Red Cross to assist those affected by the wildfires in Fort McMurray. On this day, we donated 100% of the proceeds from our six salons and spas across Western Canada; raising over $7000!
From July 23 to 26, over 70 MC College students and staff made their way to Las Vegas for the 11th annual MCxNAHA show and 27th annual North American Hairstyling Awards (aka. NAHA). The highlight of the trip? Hanging out with surprise guest speaker from Kansas and 2016 NAHA Master Hairstylist of the Year nominee….ERIC FISHER. 🙌
We launched the MC College DIY Studio event. This event is a series of do-it-yourself tutorials where our Students and Staff show you everything from creating Insta-worthy Holiday hair looks on yourself to a zombie inspired make up look for Halloween.
Our next DIY studio is January 12 at our Kelowna, Calgary, Red Deer and Saskatoon campus! BYOJ (bring your own jar) as we’ll be showing you how to create your own signature body scrub and shower oil using all-natural ingredients. For more info, visit: DIY Studio
NEW DESIGNERS FASHION SHOW | EDMONTON & WINNIPEG
From Zimbabwean prints to silhouettes inspired by Winnipeg’s architecture, our annual New Designers Fashion Show was SOLD OUT in Edmonton and Winnipeg. Read more:
Did you see MC College on Global Winnipeg Morning News and CTV Morning News? Click here to watch!
SHARING THE LOVE💕
Throughout the year, MC College Students and Staff at each campus volunteered at a variety of events. Because we couldn’t just choose one event to highlight, we made a list of the top 2 events at each campus:
- Shaved over 120 heads at the 9th annual “Bald Falcon” event at Dr. Knox Middle School. $16,011 was raised for the BC Children’s Hospital Foundation!
- Students were the official hair and makeup artists for Kelowna Community Theatre’s “Jack and the Beanstalk”.
- Pinked and shaved heads at the 13th annual Northern Alberta Hair Massacure event. Over 900 visited the Edmonton school to get their hair pinked.
- Did manicures and pedicures for members of the Edmonton Police Wives Association as part of their “Pamper our Wives in Blue” event.
- Students at the Red Deer campus did hair and makeup for cast members in the indie film “Break on Through”.
- Our students volunteered at the Relay for Life in June doing free temporary unicorn hair and braids for event attendees.
- Kicked off the annual Southern Alberta Hair Massacure event with a full day of pinking!
- Students and Staff helped the Calgary Fire Department break a world record in mass head shaving. Over 320 people of all ages had their heads shaved simultaneously. The Calgary Fire Department raised over $120,000 for the Canadian Cancer Society.
- We get it, exams are stressful! This past December and April, our Saskatoon students did free manicure and hand massages at the University of Saskatchewan’s Stress Less event.
- Free hair and up dos for graduating high school students as part of “The Princess Shop”.
- Manicures and haircuts for the families and their children staying at the Manitoba Ronald McDonald House.
- This past May, the Winnipeg campus did hair and makeup for the contestants of Miss Teen Canada.
We’re so honored to be recognized in Modern Salon’s Excellence in Education Award 2016! As the only Canadian school recognized, MC College was an honoree and finalist in 2 categories: community involvement and technology. Hundreds of cosmetology schools from across North America submitted their entries for these and many other categories. The Excellence in Education program is presented annually by Modern Salon, which is a leading North American trade magazine.