From 💃flamenco dancing💃 in Barcelona to Marlo Steenman’s Spanx for not letting her down, these are the top MC College stories from 2015 (in chronological order):
MC College organized a company wide fundraiser for the Canadian Red Cross. 50% of proceeds from salon and spa services on May 5th, at all six campuses, were donated to the Nepal Regional Earthquake Fund. We fund-raised over $5000!
Red Deer Express
In June, MC College Red Deer was named top 3 best spas by Red Deer Express’ ‘Best of’ awards. Thank you to all of our clients and students for the support and the vote! 💅👏
Creative Jam 2015
Last June, Pivot Point International hosted its first Creative Jam in Canada – a 2 day event of ‘hairspiration’ for Hairstylists and Educators. Our Educational Director, Anna Gemellaro, and MC College Instructors travelled to Toronto for hands-on education with industry leaders Yolly Ten Koppel, Joakim Roos, Severine LeBrun, Sabrina Hagenmueller and Laddie James. 💇
Pop up Salon
Last summer, we launched our first Pop Up Salon in Edmonton: Colour Art Salon by Dona Karunathilake! From creating a dress code to setting salon prices, Dona and her team got to the #WorkGrind and experienced entrepreneurship firsthand. The Pop Up Salon gives students the chance to experience what it’s like to own a salon and learn on-the-job skills in marketing, finance and operations.
The next Pop Up Salon is February 22- 27. To pre-book your appointment, call 780 429 4407 or email firstname.lastname@example.org (don’t forget to mention pop up salon!!).
From July 11th to 13th, over 80 MC College students and staff boarded a plane for Las Vegas for the 10th annual #MCxNAHA show and the North American Hairstyling Awards. The highlight of the trip? One of our Hairstyling graduates, Marlo Steenman, won Hair Colorist of the year!
Global Beauty Masters
Reality TV meets the ABA show to the extreme. Two MC College students, Tao Ping and Nicolette Porritt, went to Las Vegas in September for the second annual Global Beauty Masters Competition. Working together as the ‘MC Team’, Tao and Nicolette endured a week of intensive competition with 13 teams from around the world. The show is set to premiere on TLC on March 17, 2016! 📺
Watch the promo video
Beauty Abroad: Barcelona
From November 3 to November 11 2015, we packed our bags and jet setted to the cobbled stone streets of Barcelona! “My days in Barcelona were filled with culture, shopping, dining, and training…. It was an experience I will never forget” says MC College Hairstyling Student, Meaghan Palmer.
Saying ‘bye Felicia’ to their mannequin heads, creepy looking practice fingers and pulling an all-nighter to finish a garment can only mean one thing: it’s grad! In Spring and Fall 2015, over 400 Hairstyling, Esthetics and Fashion Design students across six campuses celebrated their success with friends, family, industry partners and MC staff.
New Designers Fashion Show | Edmonton & Winnipeg
From floral appliqués surrounded by fighter jets to being the show to launch Western Canada Fashion Week, our annual New Designers Fashion Show was SOLD OUT in Edmonton and Winnipeg. Read more:
Sharing the Love
Throughout 2015, MC College Students and Staff at all campuses volunteered at a variety of events. Because we couldn’t just choose one event to highlight, we made a list of the top 2 events at each campus:
- Mini makeovers for the City of Kelowna Camp Girlz Summer Camp
- Cuts for a Cure at Kelowna Secondary School
- “Pinked” and shaved heads at the 12th annual Hair Massacure event
- Hair cuts at Homeless Connect
- “Pinked” hair for Hair Massacure in support of the Make a Wish Foundation
- Mini manicures and backstage hair + makeup at the Calgary Women’s Show
- Red Deer
- Hair and make up for Central Alberta Theatre
- In partnership with 90.5 shine FM, we did mini manicures and hairstyles at the Only Women’s Fun Run (in support of the Women’s Outreach Centre)
- Hair and make up for the contestants at Miss Teen Saskatchewan Pageant
- Hair and up dos for graduating high school students in need (The Princess Shop)
- Manicures and hair cuts for the families and their children staying at Ronald McDonald House
- Backstage hair and make up at the Indigenous Music Awards’ official after party